Friday, January 25, 2008

Amazing men...

Last night I met Kim Peek and his dad Fran. They are amazing men and actually a comical team. Fran (dad) was so incredible, at 80 years old his memory is surely not failing him. He's sharp and has so many details of Kim's health that information alone was awesome to listen to. They travel around to help raise awareness for autism and other disabilities. The Dow Foundation http://dowfoundation.tk/ brings together the resources for the individuals with these disabilities. If you know somone who might need assistance beyond what their doctor's have for them, contact the Dow Foundation as they have many resources to help!

Kim and Fran brought the Emmy from the Rain Man movie. See it there on the floor to Fran's side.They passed it through the crowd last night and you can tell its been well appreciated in the years since Kim received it. I got so much more than I expected from attending this event! Kim came up to me and asked "What's your name lady?" When I responded with my name, he asked if I was related to Travis Roy and then proceeded to give me all the information on Travis - a young man who was in a hockey accident and injured his spinal cord. (More details here: http://www.travisroyfoundation.org/) I found out later that he met Travis the night before. Because we are a hockey family, I knew immediately who he was talking about and was not at all surprised he made that connection when he heard my last name.

Thanks to Joanne for helping me out with this....and a huge thanks to Maureen Dow for asking me to come along.

That's all for now.....more later!
Stay warm and HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

No comments:

Sitemeter