Friday, May 29, 2009

I love AGE 3!!

If my Marleigh posts are getting too much, here's your warning..its another one about her! I started this blog as a way to document my life with four kids and the greatest hubby and since photography is my passion (and my job), I've mixed it in too. But truly, I want to write about my life and lately this is the direction I want the blog to take. I don't have the time for scrapbooking like I used to....so this will have to serve that purpose. Here's my next entry...why I love age 3.......

In a few months Marleigh will turn 4...I've decided that I am going to mourn 3 as if it was my own age. I realize its only a matter of days but to a mom of four, I am very aware of the changes that 4 brings: independence, defiance and shyness...all negatives in my book as I have learned from three previous and am preparing to send off the last! Oh yah, it brings some wonderful things too...the ability to buckle the seat belt alone, completely dress without assistance and friendships outside of home...but I could care less about those things....I want to keep my baby a baby for just a little longer.


I will cherish this summer and eat up every little bit of innocence she possesses. I LOVE car conversations with her:

Me: "Marleigh, look that truck has the name BURG on it....that's just like your name..Burgie." (remember I spoke of how Branden started the trend of Burgah to Burgie and now its what we all call her...love it).

Marleigh: "My like my name Marleigh....My hope the kids at school don't call me Ham"

Me: "HAM? Why would they call you Ham?" (scratching my head and wondering where this came from)

Marleigh: looking seriously engaged in adult conversation she answers "Because my look like Ham".
Me: "You don't look like Ham!!!!"

Marleigh: "Yes my do...Marleigh Ham Burgah."

Our conversations are literal......and totally hysterical!

I hear knocking on the bathroom door while I'm showering........

Me: "Whose there?"

Marleigh: "It's me....Marleigh"

Me: "Do I know you?"

Marleigh: "Yes silly Mumma....its me, Marleigh, your company!!" She sits down on the only chair in the room (potty) and waits for me to finish my shower....talking all the time and being the perfect company!!

Those who know her well, know exactly what I'll be missing this fall when she goes to school a few mornings a week. I see the changes happening in her already....the dreaded 4 is coming....she's becoming more shy with people and yesterday told me that she doesn't want to go to school. Believe me, I was tempted to cuddle her up and tell her she didn't have to....but I know that in order to make her life in elementary a more smooth transaction, these half days have to happen...for both of us!

Each day as we wave the kids off on the bus, she turns to me (while standing on the windowsill) and asks "Where are we going today." What am I going to do without my sidekick? They've all had their turns kicking around with me....but Marleigh is the only one who has had me all to herself.

It seems like yesterday.........
I'll miss this...her perched on my windowsill performing for passersby.......
No more footed jammies.........
I'm sure this won't end....but I know she likes her quiet times to lounge and watch PBS kids....when the bigger kids are home, they change the channel on her...
I hope she has a daughter just like her someday.......
But....I'm not sure Jack will miss her much....he's started to moan when he sees her coming near.....gosh she loves him!!
I'm off to scoop up my Burgie......
Enjoy the day!
~kel~

2 comments:

Debb said...

Kelly you have a beautiful way of putting into words what all of us mothers feel when our last child takes those steps to independence. Thanks for the memories and the tug at my heart strings this morning.

Krysia said...

my heart is melting.... Happy 4th Birthday sweet Marleigh.

Sitemeter