Thursday, June 18, 2009

Here we go......

into summer....full swing now!

The kids finished their school year yesterday and the lead up to dismissal was total madness for me. I had an appointment at the studio to start my day and then the rush continued with preparations for my annual water balloon ambush on the kids as they get off the bus. This year Branden was home earlier (middle school) than the others so he and his pals helped me make the water bombs. They were so excited and I'm thrilled how the word has spread of my tradition and they all plan to come here on the last day! As they get older though, I'm not sure my tradition will be so cool....so I must continue to involve the older boys so it becomes the cool thing to do on the last day making it their tradition too! The rest of the day was spent playing in our yard...sometimes the craziness of having five tween-age boys running here and there made me feel concern for the rest of the summer but I laid down the rules of the Roy yard as I expect to do several more times in the coming months.

The last day also brought report cards, news of certificates and special awards that the kids had achieved throughout the year. Branden made us proud with High Honor Roll status, a Teacher's award and some gift certificates to local vendors for taking first place in some end of year projects. He's got school in his back pocket and math is his "thing". This year's teacher is recommending him for an accelerated pre-algebra class next year as he's much like his dad and the numbers just come so easy to him. I'm dumb....totally dumb when it comes to math....Jean gets all the credit for that gift...I'll stick to English assignments and projects as my specialty! Cam and Kenna seem happy with the teachers they have been assigned to for next year and they too had successful school years. Makenna learned to read...I'm try to continue that through the summer by tackling the suggested reading list the library sends home. She's wanting so badly to read chapter books but sometimes still struggles with the longer words in the basic books so I try hard to encourage the appropriate style for her. We'll get her there!

My day ended at the beach.....seriously, could it be ANY better than that? I photographed my friend Beth and her awesome family (you've seen the girls here before). The tide was really high at Fortune's Rocks and the wind was whipping hair everywhere but the photos were worth it! I opted to show their fun poses along with this great group shot......thanks Beth!!!!


On my ride home, I spotted this field of purple lupin....poor mom, I was talking with her on the cell phone when I spotted the field and had to ditch her to take the shot....good thing she's my mom and loves me so much....always encouraging me she didn't mind one bit!
Today the kids go visit Meems......they are beyond excited to spend the day with her.
Enjoy!
~kel~

2 comments:

sunshyntangerine said...

Kelly!!!!!!!!!!!! You have left me even more speechless than the studio shots! It will definitely be so hard to pick from these beach poses. You once again proved what an amazing talent you have. We are soooooo grateful for the memories you captured for our family! Thank you so much!

Erin

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for months and I have to say I absolutely love your photography. I hate myself in just about every picture ever taken of me, but I'd bet you'd be able to take a shot of me that I'd love! Too bad I'm on the other coast.

Sitemeter