Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Roys hit the ice...(a short read)

I'm not a winter sports kind of girl...but last night the ice beckoned to me and I answered the call! I asked Jean to dig out my skates.....in the basement, top shelf, in the original box, pristine white and upon inspection by the boys...still perfectly sharp!

My plan: to glide along like Dorothy Hamil and show my children I did have talent outside the home and could do "something" athletic. They always get amazed to see me doing things like this but I try to think of it as building a memory for them. It's more special when its not a regular thing! wink! When I talk about being "me" and "athletic" in the same sentence....its just weird..I've never been that way! I do remember just after I gave birth to Cameron, I was sure I could enter a marathon. It seemed I jumped off the delivery table just so happy to have that beast out of me! He was a tough one to carry...thought I'd split in two just before his arrival! He had a broken clavicle if that expresses the tough time I had with that one! That's how he was nicknamed my gentle giant....a sweet, sweet boy though! I digress.......

I got to the chair (in my easy to slip-on/off black dress shoes) and proceeded to lace my skates. Hadn't done that in years....and found that bending like that was something I should do more often just so my body doesn't forget how its done! The right side (I'm right handed) was much easier to lace up than my left, I felt so clumsy...and then my jeans....well, they are low-rise so need I say more! Jean thought it was funny to "point" it out to me!

Once laced, Marleigh asked for assistance with hers - it was her first time out on the ice...EVER...on skates! We found a pair for her that were too big - but I knew my time on the ice would be short lived and a pair too big would work just fine for this time. I asked Jean if he'd help Marleigh....knowing I was sacrificing my own support for my 3 year old! I stood up....and with all the grace of a lady, plopped right back into the plastic chair I'd just come from. I giggled.....its okay....I can handle this....there are enough people around to call 911 if it comes to that. I tried again........but grabbed the chair to take to the ice with me (so I could use it for support like they do when teaching the little kids at hockey!) I don't care if I looked silly......I was thrilled to be on the ice and my feet immediately remembered how to skate! I didn't last long as my feet cramped right up from all the tension. But I skated....and my kids were thrilled!!! (I cropped the chair out in this pic....no the dog is not pooping on the ice behind me...he found something under it he was trying to dig up)

Marleigh had a great time....her smiles were HUGE! She needed a rest so I let her use my chair while I shot.
I needed to capture this...
The boys were all over the idea I was out there.....I should practice more (my chubby legs could use the workout) but I'd only do it alone and would need one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" buttons around my neck just in case.
Anyway, it was fun, memorable and something different for the girls and ME! I'm afraid this weekend will be the end of the rink with rain on the way I'm not sure if the temps will remain cold enough to make use of it after this week. I didn't want regrets of not getting on it at least once!!
At the request of clients, I'm having my first ever Easter special on March 22!! As with all my specials, I will have discounted sessions, a free print and discounted add-ons! I am working on my mailing list and hope to have an email with the details blasted out to every one soon. If you see this and want a time slot for your family, please contact me and I'll write you in. These sessions fill very fast and even faster once I put the e-mail out so don't wait....you're hearing it here first...my blogging pals!!! If you're not on my mailing list and want to be, please send me a note and I'll get you entered in! jkroy(at)roadrunner.com or phone is above.
Oh, and before I go....can I just brag a bit.....I'm a published photographer now! Remember my shoot a month or so ago on the cliff of the ocean with a natural waste company? My photo got the cover and a three page spread in PUMPER magazine!! www.pumper.com
Enjoy!
~kel~

1 comment:

Australian Labradoodles of Coastal Maine said...

I LOVED this story!!!! I could relate 100%!!!
Have a fun day!
xo
Tasha

Sitemeter