Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Big news!! I broke the agreement!!

Well, I admit it, I adore my kids and find that I am guilty of spoiling them and this just proves it! They have been working really hard on their agreement (the one Jean and Cameron made) but it has been no where near the 60 day mark!! I got them a dog!


I really wanted to be prepared if Cam should meet the agreement so I have been researching what would be a good breed for my family. I knew we needed something hypoallergenic because of Cam's allergies so that narrowed the search. A few weeks ago Marleigh and I ventured to the shelter to see about a 6 year old Shih Tzu they had there that was rumored to be sweet and gentle. We got there and waited, only to find there was one man in line ahead of us who had his eyes set on her too. When they brought her out to the front lobby to meet him, she came right over to Marleigh and me. We waited for the man's visit to be over...hoping it would be over. When the staff informed me that he was taking her home, I admit I was sad....and that sort of told me that maybe I was ready for a dog too.

While reading Craigs List (which can be a really sad place to go) I saw an ad for this maltese/poodle mix. I immediately looked up the breed to see if it fit my criteria. I sent an email to the woman (local to me) and waited for her response. It came 15 minutes after my initial email...and she told later me when we met that she had 84 emails in response to this pup and she chose mine and another local family to respond to. I felt it was in the cards the way it all played out.

My kids are delighted and my husband still loves me! We are working on potty training him (the dog, not Jean) so that will be fun to blog about! He's already decided I'm the girl for him and growls at the guys who come near me. I hiss at him like the dog whisperer does but he still barks his puppy bark. Any suggestions on training, etc. I'd love to hear them! I am the pack leader...he knows that....but its getting the kids to be leaders too without being scared of getting snapped at that I worry about.

The pup does not have an official name yet. He came with "Jack" or "JJ" but Cameron's expander makes him say J's funny and all I can think of is Sgt. Shultz on Hogan's Heros when he makes that phlegmy sound after the J. It's sorta making me INSANE listening to him call the dog JJ! I offered up the name Dempsey and the kids are liking it too...I wonder is it too many syllables? (comments or email welcome!)

Anyway, he's a 5 pound ball of cute and sleeps like a baby atop my bed....but tonight he gets crate trained as I promised my bed to only one man! I'm sure the howling will stop after a few nights.....I hope it does!

That's what I've been up to! Spoiling my kids!

Enjoy!

~kel~

2 comments:

Jamie VanBeekum said...

OMGosh! He is the cutest thing I've ever seen! He looks so soft and cuddly. I like the name Dempsey, and it seems to fit him. Have fun with your new puppy. He definitely seems meant to be.

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!! That is SOOO awesome Kelly...I'm sure the kids are just thrilled.

We got our second dog the day after Thanksgiving and I found her on Craiglist. She has been a perfect fit for us. She is 6mo and her name is Dakota. She is a black lab. We already have a yellow lab named Bailey and she is 3. They get along great!

I can't wait to hear about the life with the newest Roy!! I like the name Dempsey too.

As far as the crate training goes...the first few nights will be tough but once he gets used to it, it will become his safe haven. I leave the door on Dakota's crate open during the day and she goes in there and lays down while I'm working (or at least she did before I moved my desk today).

Congratulations to you and the kids and I'm so glad Jean still loves you! :)

Sitemeter