Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Father's Day!!!

I'm back from my fun weekend at camp and though I don't have time for photos, wanted to send out Happy Father's Day wishes to all Dads!! I especially want to mention my awesome hubby who is a super dad!
I remember when we discussed children in our dating years and how we would have two...I agreed two was good only because that's what he wanted - hey, we were courting and like the flowers he used to send me "just because", there are things about courting that you just "gotta" do!! I have to say that living that dream is better than I could ever have imagined. We are so blessed with four great kids! I'm incredibly lucky to have him.

I can't let this day go without mention of my dad. I miss him very much. Last night while sitting around the campfire, my brother was telling a funny story and his mannerisms reminded my mom and I so much of my dad....it was so great to laugh in his memory. Dad never met any of his grandchildren, he passed a few months before the first one was born (he has ten now).....he would have been a fabulous grandfather and the kids would have loved him so. They call him Gump and every time we visit my mom, we drive by the cemetary where he is buried and without fail, my kids all say "Hi Gump, I love you" (on holidays they send their wishes)

Tim Russerts death was shocking and the tributes to him over the past few days have reminded me of what is important to me. My boys watched me get emotional as they showed a clip of Mr. Russert talking about his father and his son. I used my tears and the program to talk to the boys about how important it is to live a respectful life so that people will think kindly of them.....I want them to know that, to me it is important to be a good person. I know for some this will sound strange but its how I get through days when I miss my dad and my heart is heavy....I think to myself.....if God asked me to give my life so that my children could live as blessed and happy as mine is today, I would certainly not hesitate to answer that and I believe my dad would have done the same. I believe that everything happens for a reason. I honor my dad's death by living a good life and doing my best to be a good person.....I do it for me and my children because we are his legacy. He (and my mom of course) gave us a good foundation on how to do those two things.
Found this on a web board that I frequently visit and wanted to share it here:
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Live simply, love generously, care deeply and speak kindly.
Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass….it’s about learning to dance in the rain.
Happy Father's Day!!!!!
~kel~

No comments:

Sitemeter