Thursday, August 7, 2008

Raising boys is no easy feat....

but compared to girls, its a piece of cake! My boys anyway....they are easy and pretty good at not getting into trouble. Lately the neighborhood boys have been migrating into our yard and I find they get more and more mischievous in the company of friends! The latest craze at our house for the boys is paintball guns. They have a few friends that have them and the desire to have their own began a few weeks ago. When my boys want something, we discuss it and if its approved by mom and dad, we next talk about how they will pay for it. Most of the time, they must save half and we will match. They have nice bank accounts because they are pretty good savers but we won't allow them to borrow that money for things we think are simple purchases that a little hard work will pay for.

I took the boys to Walmart and had them make a list, including prices, of what they wanted so we would know what the goal needed to be. They always put their money together and since we started paying for "extra" chores, it didn't take them long to get half the money for one gun.....but that meant sharing it! A few days with one gun has started the quest for extra chores again and I'm actually getting caught up on some of my own responsibilities with their help!
It sounds easy...but its not. There are days when I get frustrated....and let's face it, they can't do things the way "I" would do them and sometimes it requires a re-do on my part but they are trying. Just the fact that they are getting the way of life and how nothing comes for free makes me feel good. They are often lazy and most of the time they dont keep their room clean...which makes me crazy....but the fact they are getting the work ethic is worth all the re-dos. Makenna is jumping on and earned a little extra yesterday too! I don't pay for regular things that they should be doing......only things I'd like to get off my plate.
Last night I was reviewing some photos and came across a few to share here. This first one makes me smile. It is my goal to capture the relationships and this photo nailed how much these two love each other.
It's blueberry season in these parts and they grow wild all around our house. I love it when the kids come to me with a few teaspoons worth in the bottom of a big bowl after hours of picking (cause they ate most of what they picked) and ask me to make muffins! I pull out one of those small Jiffy boxes of blueberry muffin mix, add their little blueberries and we have a feast on the six muffins that one box makes. The kids are proud and happy to be eating some of their catch!
Here is one I took at Parson's Beach. I think the sun looks like a space saucer.
Well, the kids are looking forward to a day with Meem and I've got several projects to tackle today. I may ask the boys if they'd like to make a few extra bucks and help me with my projects! It will be tough for them to decide....they like to be with my mom very much!

~kel~

No comments:

Sitemeter