Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Birthday Little Brother!!!

I can't believe I closed my post before wishing my brother, Bud, a Happy Birthday! He's 39 and we are the same age for the next two weeks :) When we were younger, it never failed people would ask our ages during this two week period and then ask if we were twins....to which I exploded with a NO only to learned as I got older that they do refer to us as Irish twins because our birthdays are within one year.
When I think about him as we were growing up a few things stick out solidly in my mind....I remember watching him hanging out in the yard with his friends...Kelsey and Jay who, it seemed like they lived at our house most of the time (they were good guys and those are great memories for me). I remember him as a thin kid with sloppy hair and no fingernails because he chewed them to the first knuckle (still doesn't have nails). But, my fondest memory of him is when we lost my dad....though I wouldn't call us close-knit at that time, I will never forget how Bud held my hand on the way to the funeral home. It was a reassuring and comforting feeling to know that he was there for us...stepping up to the plate and taking care of us girls. I will never forget looking down and seeing his nailless hands holding mine...we grew up a lot during that time and I thank him for that memory!
If I had to describe my brother, I'd say he's hard as nails on the outside with a heart of gold for his family and friends. He's a great hunting companion for my hubby and he's so good to my kids. Sometimes we don't see eye to eye but I always know with him I can speak my mind and he respects me more for that.
Happy Birthday Bud!! (Hopefully this will teach him that Im serious when I say I'm blogging this)!!!

2 comments:

Jamie VanBeekum said...

Wow, Kelly - your girls look a lot like you when you were younger! What a neat pic! Your brother sounds like a great guy, and I love the last pic :D Seems to show his personality, LOL!

Tina Stearns said...

Thanks Kelly... but you never mentioned the BB gun incident! Thank you!

Love ya
Bud

P.S
What ever happened to thumbleina???

Sitemeter