Friday, March 28, 2008

Oldies but goodies.....

I dont have any new pics to share today but thought I'd go back to the archives to pull these up. If you've been to my studio, you've seen the canvas I have of Marleigh. Its one of my favorites. If you commented on it, Im sure I probably told you the story of how I got it. It was just a quick decision to take a photo of her bare bottom during a diaper change. So glad I did. There were a few more that I took that day and I'll show those off too!

These are great one year milemarker photos because after that first year/18 months, its really too late for the completely naked photos. My dad would have liked these just for the fact she's wearing a cowboy hat. He always wanted to be a cowboy. Growing up we were subjected to any and all cowboy programming on the TV (we had three channels) Roy Rogers, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, etc.. When I was going into high school, he talked about moving away to Wyoming. They took a trip, that seemed like it was forever, to see what it was like. I remember my friend Diane getting so upset at the thought I'd move away. I was lucky to have a friend like that....and even luckier that we are still so close today!

I have to tell you that I posted that collage of the crying babies on a forum of photographers and it got lots of feedback...all positive but it started a chat about how there was a photographer who purposely would make the children cry for portraits. I found the link to it!!: http://arts.guardian.co.uk/pictures/0,,1830504,00.html Her comments for taking these photos says they were to depict "helplessness and anger I feel about our current political and social situation." Her photos are so upsetting to see. Im so bugged about that - crying because the photographer is a scary woman to look at (me) is one thing - but to MAKE them cry so that you can get a photo of them sobbing is a horrible thing in my opinion. I just had to tell the story here because my collage was posted a few days ago and I wanted it known to those that do not know me personally that I did not purposely upset those children for the photos. Even the children I am very comfortable with, I try not to touch during the sessions because I dont want to make them upset. I love babies and would scoop them up in an instant, just to hold them if I knew they wouldn't cry but I try to keep my distance at the studio to avoid being the reason for the tearful photos. I still take the crying photos because, to me, they are a part of life and not something commonly photographed.

Have a great Friday! FYI: I'm going to have a giveaway later this morning so stay tuned!!

:)

~Kel

1 comment:

Lisa Walsh said...

I ADORE these! They're just amazing. I don't know why I never thought of it!

Sitemeter